Sunday, January 8, 2012

On running....

I hate running.  I have never liked it.

I am not a small person.  Currently I am around 265 pounds and am built like the football player I never was.  I am oh so lucky to be barrel chested (53") which you would think would increase my lung capacity but it doesn't (of course the asthma doesn't help that either).  Needless to say, I am not built like a marathoner. 

Running was just never comfortable for me.  I could never find my stride and it always kills my lower legs.  Being asthmatic never helped either though as it would only take a few minutes of jogging to induce some tight breathing.  I have always admired those that can run and make it look effortless because it is such a convenient exercise which I would love to enjoy.

In order to successfully complete the tough mudder I need to be able to run.  Not run fast or exceptionally long distances, but I need to be able to run comfortably.  This will easily be the toughest thing for me while training for the event.  I have started running intervals on the treadmill (2 min running, 1 min walking, repeat while increasing the run time each session) and I am getting used to it I guess.  My goal is to be able to run a 5K non-stop by the event in May.

This truly is one of the invisible fences I need to knock down to make this happen and I will do it.  The journey there is going to hurt but in the end it will be so worth it.  I hope to say at the end of all this that I like running and hope to make it a regular part of my routine.




No comments: