Sunday, December 18, 2011

TOUGH MUDDER - HERE WE COME!

In my last post I eluded to the fact that I had found something as a goal for 2012.  Well that goal is to participate and complete what can only be described as something boardering on just crazy stupid.  The Tough Mudder bills itself as "Possibly the toughest event on the planet" and they might be correct.
I first saw a Tough Mudder video about a year ago and thought "Those people are insane but it looks like fun".  Honestly, that was my initial thought.   I also thought that I would love to be able to do something like that.  Well, we (my wife Kirstin and I) are now officially registered for Vermont in May 2012.  Initially my trainer talked about doing this and I said that I thought I wasn't going to be able to.  I thought there is no way I could be ready for this event only 4 months away.  That's when he said two words to me....invisible fences.  (Care to guess where the inspiration for the blog name came from) Needless to say I took that to heart. Dustin (my trainer) has been motivating me for almost a year now and helping me push my boundaries and limits to places I didn't think were possible. He and the rest of the crew at Tyler English Fitness are incredibly motivating.  
So here I am, 140 days away from the event and I can't wait.  I know this is going to be challenging and really that is the whole point.  What i think I like about the event is the fact that it is all about team work and pushing yourself.  The event isn't timed.  There are no prizes outside of a few for costume choice.  If you finish, you get a t-shirt, head band, and a beer.  The whole point of it is to push yourself and accomplish something you never dreamed possible. Here is a great video highlighting the 2011 New England Tough Mudder:

Tough Mudder also raises money for the Wounded Warrior Project, a great cause if there ever was one.  In addition to the WWP, my team will be running in the name of a good friend's son who has Cerebral Palsy.  We hope to raise money for him to be able to do somethings that he might not be able to do otherwise.  He is a great, courageous, and inspirational kid (the whole family is really).  I will post information soon on how to sponsor us as we get muddy, sore, and maybe hypothermia! Anyone out there that would like to join our team, please leave a comment or send me an email.  The more people we have, the better! 
I plan to post regularly as we train and prepare for this crazy event.  I hope to raise some money to help a great family and to knock down some of those invisible fences along the way.   




No comments: